CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lunch in Italy and Picasso in Antibes

I realize this is the 21st century equivalent of a vacation slideshow, but I don't care. Yeah, I'm one of THOSE people. We decided to go to Italy for lunch. It sounds glamorous, but it was just an hour away. And it looked pretty much like France except for all the signs in Italian.

Here's Gaby at the little restaurant. Can't you tell we're in Italy?
I will say that the food was delicious. I had an excellent lasagna and Gaby had a pizza made with Prosciutto ham and fresh mozzarella. There was no tomato sauce, just big slices of fresh tomatoes. Very tasty.

We walked down the boardwalk afterwards for a little while. The most striking thing about the town was that many of the houses on the hills seemed to be piled on top of each other. From there we went into Monte Carlo and walked around the docks where we saw some enormous yachts that people were getting ready for New Year's parties. You can't see the big yachts in this picture--I would have felt weird photographing them with a bunch of strangers on board like that.
There was also a little Christmas market where they sell holiday sorts of things and serve all kinds of food (think melted cheese poured over potatoes with little slices of bacon...mmm...), mulled wine and other hot drinks. We stopped for hot Belgian waffles with chocolate sauce drizzled over them.
The last day, we headed into downtown Antibes, the old part of town where all the streets are narrow and so quaint.
And then we went to the Picasso museum which is in old Antibes. It was in a castle where Picasso had spent some time painting. Although the paintings were fine, I liked the sculptures the best. Those guitars were awesome.

And I'm not sure what these sculptures are supposed to be, but I call the one on the left "Deformed little cat." Maybe it's supposed to be an owl.


Anyway, that concluded our little trip and we headed back to Poissy the next day. It was a good little holiday. That said, I do hope that I will someday be able to go to the beach when it's warm outside and not too windy and not rainy. And not too crowded . . . Right.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love those houses! Wouldn't it be cool to live in one of them?

Gabriel said...

Nah, I don't think they have DSL internet. :/