CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 6, 2009

Potato Chips in France

My favorite chips in the U.S. are Krunchers' Jalapeno chips. I love the satisfying crunch and the very spicy flavor. Of course they are unavailable here and I rely on the very generous (and $$) care packages my family sends me now and then. And if I really want a little spice and a taste of the U.S., the stores do carry Pringles Hot & Spicy chips which I indulge in every now and then.


Why not just eat French potato chips? Don't they have their own brands and flavors. Yes. Yes, they do. Just last week, I laughingly pointed at a bag of "Chicken and Thyme" chips which Gaby consequently added to our basket for me to try. They were good, although it was kind of like eating crunchy soup. They also have chips with "Bolognaise" flavor...as in the spaghetti sauce? I think so. There's roasted beef and braised chicken and some chips that are Mustard and Pickle flavored. I haven't tried them all...yet.



I guess I just feel like chips should have names and flavors that seem more "snacky" and less like meals. If I want roast beef, I want real roast beef and not a chip that tastes like sort of like roast beef. Okay, maybe sometime I will want a chip that tastes like roast beef; they're probably very good. But the "snack vs. meal" thing explains in part why mustard and pickle chips rather than "braised chicken" or "roast beef" are next on my list of chips to try. I've heard they're delicious.

3 comments:

Heather said...

When I first read your post, none of these sounded good. But now they do. Especially the chicken ones. :)

Do you have my blog page?
http://heather-mark-isabelle.blogspot.com/

Hil said...

I just found your comment here! I had no idea you had a blog page. I'm heading over there right now. ;)

Hil said...

i tried mustard chips today. they're amazingly good. addictive even--i ate half the bag and gaby ate the other half. (it was a small bag.)